Saturday, November 17, 2012

Hello. Again.

So. It's been a year. How about that?

Anyhow.

Major Life Happenings: I did indeed go on that pilgrimage to Spain. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I made it through my first year of college with a reasonable degree of success and I'm now in my sophomore year at St. John's.

Smaller (But Significant) Life Happenings: I will eat large chunks of raw tomato in certain foods but still not on the pesto pizza in the cafeteria. I can walk 20 miles a day if I want to and can order ice cream in Spanish when I'm in Spain. I think in Mexico they use a different word then helado. My current favorite book is Freddy and Fredericka by Mark Helprin which I am reading out loud with my room mate.

Ramblings:

So I've been thinking about writing lately. It's writing season here at St. John's instead of exam season which means a lot of time is spent in my room hunched over my laptop. And I begin to remember that I actually enjoy writing. And because I'm hunched over my laptop that means I find new ways to procrastinate, i.e., watching VlogBrothers videos and reading blogs. Which means that I think about this blog and debate about if I should try to resuscitate it. To be frank, I was a little hesitant. The internet is a funny place. It allows us to create virtual temples to ourselves (I mean, how many people honestly care that I like the music I do? Maybe 5?) with the hope that more worshippers will come along to pay homage to us. This is a belief that the internet facilitates and consequently I was nervous to resurrect this blog because I know that I like to worship at the Small Temple of Me.


However, the internet facilitates a lot of beliefs besides the belief in Self. It encourages people to believe in cooperative communities and artistic expression and there are websites for practically every philosophy and religion and conspiracy theory under the sun. But the people I almost always think when considering the internet is the VlogBrothers. I love them both but Hank Green is kind of my favorite. Which is funny in light of my recent rant of how the internet is creating cults of personalities and Hank Green does have an extremely fervent following. However I don't think that Hank Green views his vlogs in the same way that all of those 13 year olds who made MySpace pages did. But Hank Green always renews my belief in the amazing opportunities that the internet has given us and will give us in the future and his video yesterday regarding human creation got me inspired to create again. You should just watch the video, it's very inspiring.




After watching this I remembered the excitement of creating things, good things, bad things, crafty things, writing things, all of the things! I wrote five pages of a math essay in a few hours that would ordinarily take days of thought. I talked with my mom on the phone for two hours and had a leisurely lunch with my room mate. I remembered where this blog was. And hopefully not all this creation will be for my ego as I sometimes fear, but as Hank Green says in his video, that I will eventually begin to consciously create myself. Not exalting in the self, but seeing the deficiencies or the opportunities for improvement or just how to be happier. Which I think is the hope of most philosophies or religions or conspiracy theories, that the people who hear of them will bear witness to a truth. And that that truth will cause them to see themselves and others in a new light and they will begin to consciously shape themselves in accordance with that truth.

So I will choose to see this blog as an opportunity to make myself a better writer for future school papers and if I happen to entertain anyone else that's great. There's no thoughts for a format other then that I will try to write at least a paragraph or two for this once a week, but the topics will probably be diverse. I think I'm going to try to be less autobiographical but not entirely academic either since that's what school is for. Ultimately, this is for fun.

I'll be talking to y'all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment